"Movement, dance, physical education and theater all comprise a different kind of learning - not just different from a lecture, but sometimes better. Kinesthetic arts may enhance cognition, positive attitudes and confidence, in some cases kinesthetic arts may grow new brain cells."
Eric Jensen, Arts with the Brain in Mind
The elementary physical education program respects a developmentally appropriate philosophy. The focus of the program is to help children learn:
- how to make and keep their body healthy and strong.
- the basic skills and movement concepts necessary to be successful when playing games and participating i other physical activities.
- a variety of games and physical activities.
- use space and equipment safely.
- how to work cooperatively in independent, partners, and in group situations.
- value physical activity.
Student will participate in a variety of activities in:
- Developmental Games
- Educational Gymnastics
- Fitness & Wellness
- Team Building
- Goal Setting
- Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
Skill Development Areas:
- Manipulative Skills
- Locomotor Skills
- Non-locomotor Skills
- Movement Concepts
- Basic Game Strategies
- Wellness Strategies
- Communication Skills